With Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception scheduled to release in a few months, Atlus is starting to reveal more details. We’ve been keeping an eye on this title, and now we have even more news for you. The other day, Atlus released a new gameplay trailer as well as some information regarding purchasing options and pre-order bonuses.
The trailer below explains the basic story for Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception. There are two warring kingdoms, and an unlikely group of heroes step up to save the day. The YouTube description goes into more detail and gives a better summary of the story. Aside from that, they show off a bit more of the gameplay. It’s not a groundbreaking revelation, as it just illustrates more of what was shown in the teaser trailer.
Originally known as Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen in Japan, Mask of Deception is a grand tale meant to enchant the hearts and minds of players in search of incredible journey. The game begins atop a snowy mountain where the protagonist awakens in an unfamiliar wilderness, surrounded by deadly creatures, with nothing but a hospital gown and a splitting headache. However, he’s eventually rescued by a beautiful girl named Kuon, who sports both adorable animal ears and a beastlike tail. Finding that the hapless man has no memory of anything, Kuon decides to take the amnesiac into her care, naming him Haku. As their journey takes them across the land, Haku will (reluctantly) encounter colorful characters (yes, that means more animal people), build deep relationships, battle ruthless enemies, and find himself inexorably dragged into the political machinations of the mighty nation of Yamato.
As far as preorder bonuses, Atlus always has something nice — at least for American fans. Those who pre-order will receive a collector’s slipcase and a 50 page art book. A preview of the art book can be found here.
Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception features:
• An Unforgettable Story – Mask of Deception offers a story-rich visual novel experience (40-50+ hours long) that lets players shape the future of a fully realized world filled with fantastical lore and history! Mask of Deception sets up the story for a thrilling conclusion in Mask of Truth, and we’ll reveal more information about the final game at a later date.
• An Active SRPG Battle System – Players will need to defend Haku and his friends by engaging in intense SRPG combat with the various hostiles that populate the world. The battle system is a thrilling mix of turn-based tactics and Attack Chain mechanics. Players can remain active during combat by successfully completing timing-based charging rings to execute critical attacks or vital dodges/blocks.
• Fully Fleshed Out Combat – Unique combat features such as the rewind function, elemental affinities/weaknesses, unique character skills, and more add a layer of depth to fights. It’ll take true tactical acumen to emerge victorious in battle!
• Breathtaking Art – With a stunning art style and beautifully rendered cutscenes, the game is a feast for the eyes for Japanese visual novel and anime aficionados!
• Beautiful Songs and a Thrilling Score – The rousing music, recorded and remastered at the legendary Abbey Road Studios and EastWest Studios, is a perfect soundtrack to accompany a great adventure.
For those in Europe, however, the game will only have a physical release for the PlayStation 4, as the PlayStation Vita version will be digital only. There also doesn’t seem to be any mention of those same pre-order bonuses. Atlus has a teaser site up for Utawarerumono: Mask of Deception, but there isn’t much there outside of pre-order links. GameStop and Amazon have the release date listed for May 31, 2017. Credit: LewdGamer